- Last Updated on Tuesday, 21 March 2017 16:14
Digital holographic microscopy for evaluation of glycan-specific MIP targeting to cancer cells
About Phase Holographic Imaging
Phase Holographic Imaging (PHI) develops and sells holographic microscopes worldwide. Our vision is to provide scientists with cutting-edge products for monitoring and quantification of living cells. PHI is situated at the Ideon Science Park in Lund, 35 kilometers from Malmö. Lund is an old, vibrant university city with more than 40 000 students. The cathedral was built in the 12th century, and the city combines old with new in a high-spirited way.
Phase Holographic Imaging develops holographic microscopes in cooperation with Lund University, Malmö University, as well as universities in the US. We develop not only hardware and software, but also biological applications. The company collaborates with both academic and industrial partners, in projects involving cell biology and cancer research.
PhD-student position: Digital holographic microscopy for evaluation of glycan-specific MIP targeting to cancer cells
The candidate will become an employee of Phase Holographic Imaging and receive a competitive monthly gross salary in accordance with the EC Marie Sklodowska-Curie rules. The candidate will be enrolled at Malmö University. The research topic is “Biomedical sciences” and the Faculty examines Doctors of Philosophy (i.e, in Swedish: Teknologie doktor, Filosofie doktor, Doktor i medicinsk vetenskap and Medicine doktor) following a four-year program.
In this project, you will develop digital holographic microscopy for evaluation of glycan-specific molecularly imprinted polymers (MIPs) targeting to cancer cells. The work will focus on developing assays for morphological cellular detection together with nanoparticle detection using digital holographic 3D microscopy. Viability, adhesion and high-throughput assays will be performed using sialic acid (SA) targeting MIPs and cancer cell line cultures.
The project will include secondments to the other Glycoimaging partners. The secondments will allow you to work with and oversee the implementation of the materials and to gain insight into academic and industrial work environments. Apart from carrying out research within these areas the applicant is expected to take responsibility for the maintenance of instruments and other routine tasks of the company as well as to supervise students at the BSc or MSc level.
RequirementsThe requirements for admission to the PhD program are that the applicant:
- meets the general and specific entry requirements that the higher education institution may have laid down, and
- is considered in other respects to have the ability required to benefit from the course or study programme. Ordinance (2010:1064).
- has been awarded a second-cycle (Master’s degree) qualification,
- has satisfied the requirements for courses comprising at least 240 credits of which at least 60 credits were awarded in the second-cycle (Master’s degree), or
- has acquired substantially equivalent knowledge in some other way in Sweden or abroad.
- knowledge from one or more higher education courses and study programmes or corresponding courses and study programmes and/or specific professional or vocational experience
- adequate knowledge of English.
The ideal candidate will have a master´s degree (or equivalent) in the field of molecular biology, cell biology, biomedical laboratory science, or similar. Documented experimental laboratory experience is required and candidates with experience directly related to the research topic of the position outlined above will be given preference.
Working conditions and benefitsThe candidate will become an employee of Phase Holographic Imaging, and receive a competitive monthly gross salary in accordance with the EC Marie Sklodowska-Curie rules. The candidate will be enrolled the Department of Department of Biomedical Sciences, Faculty of Health and Society at Malmö University. The contract period will last for 4 years.
QualificationsTo qualify as an ESR you must:
- be in the first four years of your research career, since, for example, completion of your Master’s degree,
- have the background and expertise required for the position,
- not already possess a doctorate degree,
- be willing to move to a country within the network in which you have not lived for more than 12 months over the last 3 years and
- be proficient in both written and spoken English.
For more information, contact:
Kersti Alm, Application Specialist
For the enrolment at Malmö University:
Anette Gjörloff Wingren, Professor in Biomedical laboratory science
Phone: +46 70 6011857
Planned starting date:
August 1, 2017
Instructions to Applicants
Your application citing the reference number, is sent electronically to email@example.com. Books and any other documents which cannot be sent electronically must be sent in an envelope, citing ”PhD-position” to Phase Holographic Imaging, Scheelev. 22, 223 63 Lund, Sweden.
To be considered, the signed application should have arrived before the application deadline.
- The draft plan for the thesis
- Signed CV and resume
- You work in general want to invoke (eg master thesis)
Last date for applications:
April 18, 2017